Saturday, October 5, 2013

BUILD URBAN JOB SHADOW

I had the opportunity to participate in a field trip to Seattle with the Washington State University Interior Design Department. The highlight of the Seattle field trip came as a job shadow with Build Urban. Build Urban is a full service real estate development company. Keying on land use acquisition, urban designing and construction management, they provide clients with everything from feasibility studies to the final turnkey projects. They focus on projects that use fully sustainable building practices as well as obtaining as many local materials as possible. Their highest priority is building projects on prime view lots and creating value engineering in each and every project. I had the pleasure of meeting with Build Urban’s interior designers, Alyse and Brittney, and they walked me through a floor plan layout as well as finished material selections. I even had the opportunity of creating a floor plan of a space that they are currently designing. While I was incredibly nervous about this undertaking upon first being presented with the task, it was an incredible experience, even receiving approval from one of the company’s designers. We then proceeded to one of their projects in progress; two magnificent townhouses with open floor plans, each with 2 bedrooms, 2 bath and a single car garage. What was most impressive was the floor to ceiling windows that give you an incredible view toward Lake Union, Queen Anne, Gasworks Park, and Downtown Seattle. What I found so interesting about their designs were the simple lines and simplistic materials merging to create an elegant yet earthy space. This meeting certainly validated my career choice as an interior designer, but also gives me direction in which type of firm I may seek out upon completion of my education. While reflecting upon this amazing experience I must ponder if I would have had the same thoughts if I had the opportunity to job shadow a different firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment